The Re-Applicant Committee Packet will be available on December 15, 2017.
Deadline for All Re-Applicants: May 9, 2018 by 4:30 p.m.
- The HPAO will not provide an updated Committee Letter for any applicant who applied and was accepted to a professional school in a previous application cycle.
- The HPAO will not send out a Committee Letter written in a previous cycle. Students must submit a complete Re-Applicant packet by the deadline in order to receive a Committee Letter for the current year. If you are on a waitlist for the current cycle, but would wish to re-apply in the next cycle if not admitted from the waitlist, you should submit the re-applicant packet by the May 9 deadline. Exceptions to the deadline will not be made.
- Re-applicant letters are the original committee letter that HPAO prepared with updates provided in the opening section of the letter. The text of the original letter is not altered.
Who is an HPAO Re-Applicant?
For the standards of the HPAO, a re-applicant is an individual who has previously submitted a Pre-Health Packet and completed a mock interview. Even if you completed the mock interview but did not end up submitting your primary application, you are considered a Re-Applicant by the HPAO.
Are You Ready to "Re-apply"? Here is what the Professional Schools will be assessing:
There are many reasons why an applicant may not be accepted to professional school the first time they apply. Some of the most common reasons are GPA (science and/or overall), test scores (MCAT, DAT, or OAT), limited patient interaction and clinical experience, late submission of application or supplemental documents, or any combination of these reasons.
Before you move forward with your application, you should consider the following:
Have I strengthened my weaknesses since my previous application?
Have I eliminated any questions/concerns in my application such as the issues mentioned above?
Have I provided myself enough time to build a competitive application or am I rushing back into this application cycle?
There is no mystery to this process or secret code you need to break. In general, professional schools are concerned with:
- Overall and science GPA
- Personal Statement
- Clinical Exposure to medicine/dentistry, etc.
- Activities and leadership, particularly related to community service and volunteerism
Re-applicants will have their Committee Letter updated upon submission of a complete Pre-Health packet (deadlines are listed on the Timeline). Refer to the following pages to get started:
- Committee Letter
- Letter Forwarding
- Re-Applicants will still enter Wendy Loughlin as the primary author within AMCAS/AADSAS, regardless of the advisor actually updating your letter
- You must actively release your common application to your advisor as part of the Committee Process. This does not automatically transfer from your previous application.
Applicant Responsibilities & Deadlines
If you have taken any new coursework of any type, an official transcript (copy or original) is required from all institutions where coursework was completed. Packets will not be reviewed until all official transcripts that include any new coursework have been received.
It is common practice to update a personal statement that was used in a previous application cycle, even if you withdrew your application. Consider including new experiences (e.g. clinical, research, or community service) when writing your personal statement along with the following: explaining why you want to be a doctor, providing some background information about yourself, and relevant experiences you have participated in to solidify this decision. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you update your personal statement.
View these slides for helpful tips about writing your Personal Statement and plan to attend a Personal Statement Workshop (offered in the Spring).
Letters of Recommendation:
Applicants who activated a veCollect account in a previous cycle should not attempt to create or activate a new account. If you try to log in and your account is suspended, simply contact the HPAO to reactivate it. If you have never requested a veCollect account, you must do so to participate in the Committee Process. Visit this page for details.
As a re-applicant, it is encouraged that you do not apply with the same exact letters as in a previous cycle, especially if you are several years removed from the application process. Consider the following:
- Letters of recommendation that are one year old may be used. Often, applicants will supplement older letters with new additional letters. If you do not have new letters to add to your application, then updating older letters is highly encouraged. Please review the FAQ section before making any changes to your veCollect account.
- You may also choose to replace your previous letters with completely new letters. Keep in mind that two science letters from professors who have taught you in a classroom setting are still required for professional schools.
- If you are changing programs such as medical to dental, you do want to update your letters so they are addressed to the appropriate program. HPAO will not forward letters which refer to the incorrect program.
Follow these instructions if you are a reapplicant, meaning, you previous participated in the Committee Process and completed a mock interview. If you did not complete a mock interview, you will need to follow the First-Time applicant instructions.
· Updating letters:
o Do not create a new Evaluator Record. You can resend the letter writer a new letter request by going into your veCollect account and clicking on the Envelope button from the previous record created for this letter writer.
· Updating the Committee Letter
- You will need to create a new quiver for your the current cycle you are applying. This new quiver will have the letters you select from your veCollect account, including the spot for Wendy.
- You do NOT need to create a NEW Evaluator Record for your updated Committee Letter. Identify this letter with the program you are applying to (MD, DO, or Dental) along with the matriculating year that you are applying for.
- If you previously applied to one program and are now adding another, such as DO or Dental, then you will need to create a new Evaluator Record for this letter. The HPAO writes a separate letter for MD and DO programs. Identify this letter with the program you are applying to (MD, DO, or Dental) along with the matriculating year that you are applying for.
Re-applicants will not complete an additional mock interview, as your previous participation in the Committee Process would have provided this opportunity.