- Contact Us
- Calendar of Events
- Past Presentations
- Facts and Figures
- Student Advisory Board
- Pre-Health Advising
- Are You Ready?
- Committee Letter
- Letter Forwarding
- Letters of Recommendation
- Forms & Resources
- Applicant FAQs
Be sure to read these instructions carefully and refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section. All students utlizing the Committee Process and requesting a Committee Letter must utlize this service and include their individual letters with their committee packet. Committee Letters are not available for students who send their individual letters directly to the Common Application Services separately.
Please note: veCollect is only used for students applying to Medical, Dental, or Podiatry school. Optometry applicants should have letters of recommendation sent directly to OptomCAS.
Request a veCollect account:
• Submit the veCollect Account Request Form (once you pay the $20 fee, you can access the form)
• Register for access on the veCollect website once you receive the authorization code by email from HPAO
• Note: You do not need to know your AMCAS/AADSAS/AACOMAS/AACPMAS ID to register
• Once you receive notification that your account is activated, you may begin to use veCollect
• Bookmark the veCollect login page: https://collect.virtualevals.net/login
"MY EVALUATORS" Tab: Step One
SETTING UP EVALUATORS:
Students need to create both an Evaluator AND Letter record for each person that will be submitting a letter on their behalf, INCLUDING one for the Committee Letter:
• Click on Add New Evaluator to set up records for each letter-writer. Enter the contact information for each evaluator, including their accurate email address. Then click Create Evaluator Record.
"MY EVALUATORS" Tab: Step Two
• Under the name of the evaluator you just created, click Create New Letter Record. Select the type of school you are applying to (i.e. Medical, Dental, etc.). Students applying to Medical School, whether MD programs, DO programs, MD/PhD programs, or any combination, should select MEDICAL SCHOOLS as the letter type.
• On this page, you must provide a response and signature (type your name within the box) regarding the FERPA statement. Then click Create Letter Record.
"MY EVALUATORS" Tab: Step Three
If you haven't done it already, set up an evaluator record for the Committee Letter, using the following information:
First Name: Wendy
Last Name: Loughlin
Address 1: 1210 H. J. Patterson
City: College Park
Postal Code: 20742
Then, as you've done before, click Create New Letter Record, choose the program type, and sign the FERPA. If you are applying to more than one program type (i.e. MD and DO schools) create a letter record for each type. Students should NOT send a letter
request email for the Committee Letter.
Without this, HPAO is unable to upload your letter and could result in delaying your application.
Re-Applicants: You do NOT need to set up a new evaluator or letter record for the Committee Letter. Your new Committee Letter will replace the previous letter within that same record.
"MY EVALUATORS" Tab: Step Four
NOTIFYING YOUR EVALUATORS:
When looking at the My Evaluators page, you see a clickable envelope icon next to the letter records:
• When you're ready to notify an evaluator to submit their letter, click on the envelope icon to send an email to them. The email will contain all the instructions they need to submit their letter to veCollect.
• When an evaluator has submitted their letter, a red Adobe Acrobat (PDF) symbol will appear within the evaluator record. Please note: It takes 1-2 business days from the time a letter is submitted for the letter to be matched to your account.
Note: Students should request the letter in person before sending the email request! See the the Letters of Recommendation section for suggestions on who, how, and when to ask for a Letter of Recommendation.
MY INSTITUTIONS TAB - DO NOT FILL OUT!
Students should NOT enter their selected schools into this section. The HPAO uses the Letters Form instead of this feature. This form must be submitted to us around the time you are returning secondary applications.
WHEN YOUR LETTERS ARE IN: GO TO "MY QUIVER" TAB
When all expected individual letters of recommendation have been received:
• Create a Quiver by clicking on Create New Quiver
• In the description, reference the program type, i.e. MD Quiver, DO Quiver, Dental Quiver, etc.
• Select all of the letters to be included in the packet, INCLUDING the Committee Letter (even if it has not been uploaded yet). You may collect more letters in your account than you end up adding to your quiver. Your quiver is limited to 7 letters including the Committee Letter.
If a student is applying to both MD and DO programs:
You will need to create two quivers (one for each program type). Students will assign the appropriate letters to each quiver. For example, there may be a letter from a D.O. that should be included only in the DO quiver.
When the committee letter is done, students will receive an email from the advisor working with their packet letting them know it is complete and the PDF symbol will appear in the box for the committee letter record. Students should refer to the Committee Letter page for information about when to expect a completed letter.
Note for Re-Applicants: You will need to create a NEW quiver for the current cycle. Please title the quiver using the application cycle year (i.e. 2014 Cycle Quiver).
WHEN YOU'VE SET UP YOUR QUIVER AND LETTERS ARE READY TO BE FORWARDED: GO TO "PROCESS MY LETTERS" TAB
When all expected letters, including the Committee Letter, have been received and the quiver reflects ALL letters you want the HPAO to send to professional schools, click on the Process My Letters tab, "sign" the page by typing in your name, and click Process & Lock Quiver. To have your letters sent out, submit the Letter Forwarding Form. No letters will be sent out without this form.
1) How do I know when one of my letters has been received?
Students are responsible for tracking the receipt of letters in veCollect. A red Adobe Acrobat or PDF symbol will appear within the Evaluator Record when a letter has been successfully uploaded. If you hover over the symbol with your mouse, it will tell you the date the letter was received.
2) What if I already have letters as a hard copy in the HPAO?
To utilize your existing letters in the HPAO office you must have each letter added to your veCollect account. Create an evaluator and letter record for each of your letters on file. Do not enter the email address for your recommender. Instead, enter email@example.com in the email field. You will then click the envelope icon to send an email request to Mike. The hard copy of your letter will be scanned and uploaded to your veCollect account. Please allow 2-3 weeks for this process to be complete.
3) My recommender submitted a letter to my account last year. How do I get an updated letter from him/her?
First, always request that your letter be updated by speaking with your recommender. Once they have agreed to update and resubmit their letter, you can simply click the envelope icon within their evaluator record to send the veCollect email request. Do NOT add a new evaluator or letter record. When an updated letter is submitted, it will take the place of the old letter. Usually, your letter-writer will tell you when the letter has been submitted, but you can also verify with the HPAO.
4) When do I set up my "Quiver"?
The best time to create a quiver is when all individual letters of recommendation you want to send to professional schools have been received. Make sure to select ALL individual letters you want to be sent, including the Committee Letter record. This can be done prior to your Committee Letter being completed or uploaded.
5) When do I "Process My Letters"?
You can only Process or Lock your quiver once all letters in the quiver have been received. Once you process your letters, you cannot make any changes to the letters that are in your quiver (i.e. add a new letter). If you accidentally lock your quiver without including the Committee Letter, you will need to create a new quiver and give it a distinct name (i.e. Final Quiver).
6) I forgot my login information. What do I do?
Your veCollect login is something you create when you set up your account. It is NOT your directory ID and password. You can click on "Having trouble logging in?" and follow the instructions to regain access.