- Are You Ready?
- Committee Letter
- Credentials Forwarding Service
- Letters of Recommendation and veCollect
- Applicant FAQs
- GPA Calculator
veCollect Instructions for Students
Be sure to read these instructions carefully and refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section.
Please note: veCollect is only used for students applying to Medical, Dental, or Podiatry school. Optometry applicants should have letters of recommendation sent directly to OptomCAS.
Request a veCollect account:
• Submit the veCollect Account Request Form (once you pay the $20 fee, you can access the form)
• Register for access on the veCollect website once you receive the authorization code by email from HPAO
• Note: You do not need to know your AMCAS/AADSAS/AACOMAS/AACPMAS ID to register
• Once you receive notification that your account is activated, you may begin to use veCollect
• Bookmark the veCollect login page: https://collect.virtualevals.net/login
The dashboard tab provides students with a flow chart about how veCollect works.
MY EVALUATORS TAB
SETTING UP EVALUATORS:
Students need to create both an Evaluator AND Letter record for each person that will be submitting a letter on their behalf, INCLUDING the Committee Letter:
• Click on Add New Evaluator to set up records for each letter-writer. Enter the contact information for each evaluator, including their accurate email address. Then click Create Evaluator Record.
• Next, click Create New Letter Record. Select the type of school you are applying to (i.e. Medical, Dental, etc.). Students applying to Medical School, whether MD programs, DO programs, MD/PhD programs, or any combination, should select MEDICAL SCHOOLS as the letter type.
• Also on this page, you will see the FERPA statement and will select whether you are or are not waiving your right for a confidential or non-confidential letter. Students need to "sign" a FERPA statement for each and every letter by typing in your name. Then click Create Letter Record.
NOTIFYING YOUR EVALUATORS:
When looking at the My Evaluators page, you see a clickable envelope icon next to the letter records:
• When you're ready to notify an evaluator to submit their letter, click on the envelope icon to send an email to them. The email will contain all the instructions they need to submit their letter to veCollect.
• When an evaluator has submitted their letter, a red Adobe Acrobat (PDF) symbol will appear within the evaluator record. Students are responsible for tracking the receipt of letters. Please note: It takes 1-2 business days from the time a letter is submitted for the letter to be matched to your account.
Note: Students should request the letter in person before sending the email request! See the the Letters of Recommendation section for suggestions on who, how and when to ask for a Letter of Recommendation.
MY INSTITUTIONS TAB
Students should NOT enter their selected schools into this section. The HPAO uses the Credentials Form instead of this feature. This form should only be turned in when you are returning secondary applications.
MY QUIVER TAB
When all expected individual letters of recommendation have been received:
• Create a Quiver by clicking on Create New Quiver
• Quiver descriptions must reference the appropriate program type, i.e. MD Quiver, DO Quiver, Dental Quiver, etc.
• Select all of the letters to be included in the packet, INCLUDING the Committee Letter (even if it has not been uploaded yet). You may collect more letters in your account than you end up adding to your quiver. Your quiver is limited to 7 letters including the Committee Letter.
If a student is applying to both MD and DO programs:
You will need to create a separate Quiver for each program type. Students will assign the appropriate letters to each quiver. For example, there may be a letter from a D.O. that should be included only in the DO quiver.
When the committee letter is done, students will receive an email from the advisor working with their packet letting them know it is complete and the PDF symbol will appear in the box for the committee letter record. Students should refer to the Committee Letter page for information about when to expect a completed letter.
Note for Re-Applicants: You will need to create a NEW quiver for the current cycle. Please title the quiver using the application cycle year (i.e. 2014 Cycle Quiver).
PROCESS MY LETTERS TAB
When all expected letters, including the Committee Letter, have been received and the quiver reflects ALL letters the student wants to send to professional schools, the student clicks on the Process My Letters tab, "signs" the page by typing in their name, and clicks Process & Lock Quiver. Then, the final step is to submit the Credentials Form, available under Forms on the HPAO website, indicating that the letter packet is ready to be transmitted to schools. No letters will be sent out without this form.
1) How do I create a record for the Committee Letter?
Enter in the following information to create an Evaluator Record for the Committee Letter:
First Name: Committee
Last Name: Letter
Address 1: 1210 H. J. Patterson
City: College Park
Postal Code: 20742
Be sure to create a Letter Record for the Committee Letter. Without this, HPAO is unable to upload your letter and could result in delaying your application. If a student is applying to both MD and DO programs: for the Committee Letter, students must create two letter records, one for MD and one for DO programs. Students should NOT send a letter request email for the Committee Letter.
Note for Re-Applicants: You do NOT need to set up a new evaluator or letter record for the Committee Letter. Your new Committee Letter will replace the previous letter within that same record.
2) How do I know when one of my letters has been received?
Students are responsible for tracking the receipt of letters in veCollect. A red Adobe Acrobat or PDF symbol will appear within the Evaluator Record when a letter has been successfully uploaded. If you hover over the symbol with your mouse, it will tell you the date the letter was received.
3) What if I already have letters as a hard copy in the HPAO?
To utilize your existing letters in the HPAO office you must have each letter added to your veCollect account. Create an evaluator and letter record for each of your letters on file. You will be required to sign the FERPA statement for each letter. Do not enter the email address for your recommender. Instead, you should put email@example.com in the email field. You will then click the envelope icon to send an email request to Mike. The hard copy of your letter will be scanned and uploaded to your veCollect account. Please allow 2-3 weeks for this process to be complete.
4) My recommender submitted a letter to my account last year. How do I get an updated letter from him/her?
First, always request that your letter be updated by speaking with your recommender. Once they have agreed to update and resubmit their letter, you can simply click the envelope icon within their evaluator record to send the veCollect email request. Do NOT add a new evaluator or letter record. When an updated letter is submitted, it will take the place of the old letter. Usually, your letter-writer will tell you when the letter has been submitted, but you can also verify with the HPAO.
5) When do I set up my "Quiver"?
The best time to create a quiver is when all individual letters of recommendation you want to send to professional schools have been received. Make sure to select ALL individual letters you want to be sent, including the Committee Letter record. This can be done prior to your Committee Letter being completed or uploaded.
6) When do I "Process My Letters"?
You can only Process or Lock your quiver once all letters in the quiver have been received. Once you process your letters, you cannot make any changes to the letters that are in your quiver (i.e. add a new letter). If you accidentally lock your quiver without including the Committee Letter, you will need to create a new quiver and give it a distinct name (i.e. Final Quiver).
7) I forgot my login information. What do I do?
Your veCollect login is something you create when you set up your account. It is NOT your directory ID and password. You can click on "Having trouble logging in?" and follow the instructions to regain access.